100g caster sugar
2tbsp golden syrup
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
Method (to the this madness)
Have a sheet of baking paper ready in a baking tray or on some cardboard. The honeycomb will be incredibly hot – don’t do what I did and put it in a plate (I now have a wonky plate!)
1. mix the sugar and golden syrup together in a pan
2. heat the pan and let the sugar syrup mix dissolve and then begin to bubble.
Once on the heat do not mix.
3. Once the mixture is beginning to bubble and darken, take off the heat and add the bicarb immediately – stirring constantly. This will bubble up like a bad science experiment.
4. Pour out on to the baking paper.
Hot hot hot – do not touch it!
5. Let it cool completely then smash to pieces with a rolling pin (or whatever you have to hand!)
Have a boiled kettle to hand and soak all utensils to get rid of the sticky mess.