225g self-raising flour, sieved
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp ground cinnamon
115g Flora Cuisine
115g dark muscovado sugar
115g black treacle
115g golden syrup
250ml semi-skimmed milk
85g stem ginger in syrup finely chopped
Jack Daniels Caramel Sauce
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup double cream
3-5 tbsp Jack Daniels, depending on your love of JD
Preheat oven to 160C and line a deep 18cm round cake tin.
1. Combine the flour, bicarbonate of soda and spices into a mixing bowl.
2. Melt Flora with the sugar, treacle, syrup and milk over a gentle heat, until the sugar has dissolved.
3. Add the stem ginger to the flour, pour in the melted ingredients, stir thoroughly, then add the egg and beat together.
4. Pour the batter into the tin and bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour.
5. Leave to cool completely, using a skewer poke some holes over the cake and pour in 5-6 tbsp of stem ginger syrup.
6. To make the syrup, heat the sugar and butter on a low heat until the sugar has dissolved. Take off the heat when almost boiling but do not let boil. Stir the cream in off the heat and stir in the Jack Daniels.
Serve the cake warm with the caramel sauce drizzled on top and cream on the side.
See Flora for the original ginger cake recipe.